10 Awesome Tips to Promote Your DJ Service
As a DJ, promoting your service takes a lot of time, effort, determination, and, most importantly….creativity!
This post shares 10 Awesome Tips to Promote Your DJ Service.
1. Show Up in Local Google Search Results
You need to show up when someone searches, "DJ Service near me." This is often overlooked and can significantly impact getting leads and new customers for your DJ service.
Why does local SEO matter for DJs?
SEO is about getting your business in front of people looking for DJ services.
In today's world, most people look online before they buy anything from a company. So if you aren't showing up in the search results when someone searches for "DJ," they may go with someone else instead.
93% of consumers search online and read reviews before buying something, and 72% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. This means that if you don't show up on page one of Google, chances are good that you're going to lose business because customers can't find you!
To help your DJ service appear in local Google search results, you need to ensure these three things are covered.
Google Business Profile
A Simple Website for Your DJ Service
Local Online Business Listings
Let's break down each one, so you know what to do to help your DJ business appear in local Google searches.
Google Business Profile
As a DJ service, it is crucial to complete your Google Business Profile to help new customers find and choose you.
Google business listings are great for attracting new customers. Still, they're also helpful for letting customers know what service you provide. That's why filling out all the fields is essential when creating or editing a listing.
The more information you provide, the more likely potential customers will find you and choose you over another DJ service.
Here are some things to consider when filling out your Google business listing:
- Your location and your website address (if applicable). Make sure to include an accurate phone number as well. This helps customers find your information quickly, which leads to more sales!
- Listing photos allow potential customers to see what kind of work you do and whether or not they like your style before contacting them. Images can also help increase engagement with other users by getting their attention through visual content that makes them want to learn more about what you do!
- A short description of the services you offer (for example, "We specialize in weddings and private parties.")
- Videos showcasing what you do (this can be as simple as an explainer video that shows how to book you for an event)
A Simple Website for Your DJ Business
Whether a professional DJ or just starting, a website is essential to success.
The first thing potential clients will do when looking for a DJ is search online. How will they know that you exist if they can't find your website?
Here are some tips for creating a website for your DJ service that will help you get more clients:
- Make sure it's easy to navigate.
- Make sure your design and layout are simple so people can easily find what they're looking for on your site.
- Keep it short and sweet. Your website should have just the right content. Hence, visitors have all the information they need without feeling overwhelmed or confused by the design.
- Include testimonials from past customers or references from other businesses who can vouch for your skills as a DJ or musician. This will help potential clients feel confident in hiring you for their event or party.
Local Online Business Listings
If you're a DJ, you must ensure your business is listed in the best local online business directories. People look for DJs in these online directories. You must confirm that your DJ business is listed there and that your information is accurate.
Here are some of the top sites where you can list and optimize your business:
- Yellow Pages
- The Knot
If you don't have a website, now's the time to create one. You'll want a website that shows off all of your experience and any other skills that help set you apart from other DJs in town. It should also include what you charge for events like weddings or corporate parties.
A website will be vital because you will want to link it to your profile in these directories so people can find out more information and hire your business.
2. Network with Event Planners
There are many ways to promote your DJ business, but one of the most effective is to network with other event planners. You can do this in person or online, but both methods will help you get more gigs.
Here's how to network with event planners:
- Meet them at industry events.
- Cold Call or Cold Email Them
- Connect on LinkedIn and send a personal message
- Set up an appointment to meet them for coffee and introduce yourself and your services.
- Maintain a good reputation in your industry by being ethical and professional, even when dealing with competitors or demanding clients.
- Volunteer at events by charities or nonprofits that support causes that matter to you (i.e., animal rescue groups, LGBT organizations, etc.). Volunteering will help build your reputation as someone who cares about making a difference in the world, making event planners more likely to work with you.
Event planners will often get asked their opinion of which DJs are the best ones to hire for an event. The more you network and build your reputation, the more likely you will be the DJ service local event planners recommend!
3. Network with Venues
Network with the venues and event coordinators at venues to help promote your DJ Service. Build excellent relationships and a great reputation with local venues. It will create more promotion and word of mouth for your DJ service.
You can also use social media as a way to network. Use Facebook Groups, Instagram, Twitter, etc., to connect with other professionals in the industry that may be able to help you grow your business.
4. Social Media!
Maintain an up-to-date and relevant social media presence for your DJ Service. Posting engaging content regularly is a great way to promote your DJ service for free consistently.
Posting engaging content will increase the chances of someone sharing it with others, leading to even more people seeing your posts.
Here are some simple ideas for how you can use social media to generate more business for your event services:
- Create an Instagram account for your business, and post pictures from past events that show off your DJ Service.
- Create a Facebook page for your business, and share links to blog posts (with relevant tags) that provide helpful tips for anyone planning or attending an event.
- Create YouTube videos that show people how to pick out music for events such as weddings or parties. These videos can be helpful if you don't have time to meet in person with potential clients during the planning stages of their events.
If you aren't posting anything about your DJ Service on your social media channels, then you might as well not even have them! Posting engaging content regularly is the best way to build trust with potential clients and keep people coming back for more.
Many different posts can be beneficial for attracting new clients to your DJ Service: live event coverage, inspirational quotes or photos, behind-the-scenes photos from events, contests, and giveaways, or even just sharing fun personal stories about yourself or your team members.
Even better than just posting once in a while is posting daily! If you make it a habit to update your pages at least once daily, people will start thinking of your DJ service as an authority. They will pay attention when they see something new from you pop up in their feed. They will likely think of you when they need to hire a DJ!
5. Get Online Reviews & Testimonials
Get online reviews and testimonials from clients who have used your DJ Service.
If you've been in business for any length of time, you know how important it is to get feedback from your customers. It's good for them to know that their opinions are appreciated, and it's good for you because it helps build your reputation as a company.
There are many ways to get reviews, including emails asking customers to leave feedback on sites like Yelp, Facebook, or Google.
It is important to ask for reviews and testimonials constantly. When you receive testimonials from clients, use them on your website, social channels, and print marketing materials to help promote your business.
6. Create Lots of Videos of People Having Fun
Getting the word out about your DJ Service is one of the most important aspects of running a business. The best way to get the word out is to take videos of people dancing to your music. There is nothing better to help promote your DJ Service than videos and pictures of people having a good time at an event you DJ'd.
The best thing about this method is that it is free! All you need is an iPhone or Android phone with a decent camera and time on your hands.
Here are some tips for getting started:
- Make sure you have permission to film before you start filming
- Focus on the dancing and not yourself (you should be behind the camera, not in front of it)
- Try different angles and positions so that you can get different shots
- Make sure your lighting is good so that it doesn't look like a rave from 1990 (I've seen this happen before)
- Use slow-motion effects to make the videos unique and stand out.
7. Pass Out Business Cards
One of the most effective ways to promote your DJ business is by handing out your business cards. You can hand out as many as you like, but make sure they are high-quality and have a professional look.
The main reason that handing out business cards is so practical is that it allows people to remember you when they need your services in the future. After reading it once or twice, people often throw away a flyer or brochure, but they will hold onto a business card for months or even years.
When handing out your business cards, give them out during every event that you DJ. This includes weddings, birthdays, and other events where people may want to hire a DJ in the future. Also, give them out at grocery stores and gas stations near where you live or work so that people can see them regularly.
8. Try Out Google Ads
Try using Google Ads to promote your DJ business.
You can use Google Ads to promote yourself in your local area. The target audience for this ad is people searching for "wedding DJs near me" or "DJs near me."
This type of search ad aims to drive clicks to your website and phone calls so that you can capture more leads and convert them into paying customers.
9. Create a Memorable Name & Brand
A good name for your DJ service is essential to getting clients.
Here are some tips on how to come up with a great one:
- Make sure you have a memorable name for your DJ Service. The better your name, the more likely someone will remember you the next time they need to hire a DJ.
- Choose a name that reflects the type of music you play and the style of music you specialize in. For example, if you play Latin or Top 40 music, it makes sense to use "Latin" or "Top 40" as part of your business name.
- Keep in mind that many businesses change names over time as they grow or change their focus. If that's what you want to do, be sure your current name is something that can work well with future changes in direction.
10. Do Something Different
Differentiate yourself from the competition. Do something slightly different, like having great lighting or fog machines. It will help set your business apart from the competition.
It's all about standing out and getting ahead of your competitors. It would help if you thought of ways that make you stand out above everyone else who is doing the same thing as you.
Offering something unique is a great way to set yourself apart from all those other DJs in town, but don't forget about your personality too!
As mentioned above, there's no one-size-fits-all method for promoting your DJ services. Try out these tips and experiment to find a few that fit your brand and audience. Good luck!